0 Flares 0 Flares ×

Jyotsna Patadia, age 15, walks the salt pans of Little Rann of Kutch, India. © Nikki Kahn/The Washington Post.

BY GRACE ANEIZA ALI | THE GIRLS ISSUE | SPRING, 2013

The image above is taken from The Washington Post‘s photojournalism series, “For Impoverished Girls, School Is Just a Dream,” by photojournalist Nikki Kahn, who followed the Patadia family on the salt pans of Little Rann of Kutch in India.

On these desolate salt pans of western India, as in much of the developing world, poverty and long-standing social customs bar many girls from attending school. Above, Jyotsna Patadia, age 15, one of those girls, walks a pot of tea out to her parents and uncle on the salt pans of Little Rann of Kutch. Jyotsna was forced to drop out of school at 10 years old to help her parents during the day as they mine the land for salt. With a $500 annual income, Jyotsna’s parents could not afford to send all three of their children to school. As the girl, she has to forfeit an education. “It’s easier to be a boy,” said Jyotsna. “They get to go to school.”

Nikki Kahn was born in Georgetown, Guyana and now lives in Washington, DC. Her visual reporting spans the globe—Afghanistan, Haiti, Tunisia, India, Egypt, and Guyana, to name just a few. In 2011, Kahn shared a Pulitzer Prize for “Breaking News Photography” with her Washington Post colleagues, Carol Guzy and Ricky Carioti, for the series “Haiti’s Profound Sorrow,” featuring portraits of grief and desperation after the 2010 earthquake in Haiti.

Kahn’s images capture the faces and places engulfed in the headlines as well as the little known people and communities, like those of the salt pans of Little Rann of Kutch, that do not often make the front pages. It’s that commitment to telling the stories of those not so known places that make her work notable. What underlines Kahn’s body of work, from her portrayal of an impoverished girl in the salt pans of India, to her portrait of an elderly woman in the aftermath of Haiti’s earthquake, to her depiction of the faces of AIDS in Guyana, is a worldview that goes beyond stirring compassion, to one that motivates action.

Click here to view a selection of Nikki Kahn’s work in The Washington Post.

Grace Aneiza Ali is the founder and editorial director of Of Note Magazine.

giveonlinebuttonOF NOTE Magazine is free to readers, free of advertising, and free of subscriptions—all made possible by generous supporters like you. Please consider making a tax-deductible gift

OF NOTE Magazine is a fiscally sponsored organization of Artspire, a program of the New York Foundation for the Arts, a 501 (c) (3), tax-exempt organization. All donations are 100% tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.

0 Flares Facebook 0 Twitter 0 0 Flares ×

Comments

287 Responses to “India | The ‘Dream’ of School for Impoverished Girls, by Photojournalist Nikki Kahn”
  1. The facts talked about inside the write-up are several of the very best obtainable

2. The info mentioned inside the report are several of the most beneficial out there

3. usually posts some incredibly interesting stuff like this. If youre new to this site

4. Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a handful of unrelated information, nevertheless seriously really worth taking a search, whoa did one find out about Mid East has got additional problerms too

5. jordan 6 says:

I simply desired to appreciate you again. I am not sure the things that I would have achieved without those creative ideas contributed by you directly on such topic. Completely was an absolute terrifying problem in my opinion, but spending time with your professional style you managed it took me to weep for fulfillment. Extremely happy for this work and as well , sincerely hope you are aware of an amazing job you are getting into training most people through your webblog. I am certain you’ve never encountered any of us.

6. 먹튀업체 says:

although web-sites we backlink to below are considerably not related to ours, we feel they are actually worth a go by means of, so possess a look

7. Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

8. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

9. airfare says:

My husband and i ended up being absolutely joyful Edward managed to carry out his research through your precious recommendations he gained while using the weblog. It’s not at all simplistic just to choose to be releasing information which usually people today may have been trying to sell. And now we know we have the blog owner to thank for this. The explanations you have made, the straightforward blog menu, the friendships you can give support to foster – it’s got all great, and it is facilitating our son in addition to the family do think the situation is thrilling, and that is especially mandatory. Many thanks for the whole lot!

10. we came across a cool website which you could take pleasure in. Take a appear for those who want

11. we like to honor several other online sites around the internet, even if they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Under are some webpages worth checking out

12. Scot Gilfoy says:

What i do not realize is actually how you are not actually much more well-liked than you might be now. You are so intelligent. You realize therefore considerably relating to this subject, made me personally consider it from a lot of varied angles. Its like women and men aren’t fascinated unless it’s one thing to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs nice. Always maintain it up!

13. Here is an excellent Blog You might Locate Intriguing that we Encourage You

14. The info talked about in the article are a few of the best obtainable

15. I must get across my appreciation for your kind-heartedness supporting folks who really need assistance with this important content. Your special commitment to passing the solution up and down appears to be especially valuable and have regularly made regular people just like me to achieve their ambitions. The informative publication means a great deal to me and a whole lot more to my mates. Thanks a lot; from each one of us.

16. Amazing blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m completely confused .. Any suggestions? Bless you!

17. nasonex says:

just beneath, are numerous absolutely not related sites to ours, nevertheless, they’re certainly really worth going over

18. cozaar says:

we like to honor lots of other world wide web internet sites on the net, even though they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Under are some webpages really worth checking out

19. usually posts some really intriguing stuff like this. If you are new to this site

20. the time to study or visit the content or web-sites we’ve linked to beneath the

21. although websites we backlink to beneath are considerably not associated to ours, we really feel they may be actually worth a go as a result of, so have a look

22. Here are several of the web sites we suggest for our visitors

23. just beneath, are various completely not related sites to ours, however, they may be surely really worth going over

0 Flares Facebook 0 Twitter 0 0 Flares ×